So, you’re ready to pop the question. How are you going to do it?
One of the most nerve wrecking moments of a man’s life is proposing to his girlfriend, and usually a lot of thought goes into it. Without fail, the best way is to come up with something that is unique to you as a couple. Ask her while doing something both of you love doing together, on a day that that is special for both of you, in a way that will show her how much she means to you…
Image Courtesy of The Heart Bandits
Here are our 30-ish favourite and most romantic and memorable ways to propose:
1. Take out a full-page ad in a newspaper you know your girlfriend reads daily, so she will find your proposal over her morning coffee.
2. Flying anytime soon? Ask the flight attendants if you can use the plane’s loudspeaker system and propose at 35,000 feet.
3. Go on a romantic boat ride. In the middle of the lake/pond/river, tell her how much you love her and ask her to marry you.
4. Wake her up in the middle of the night, tell her that you love her and couldn’t wait another second, and give her the ring.
5. Spell it out while you are playing scrabble and she’s not looking.
6. Ask her to marry you at the top of a ferris wheel.
7. Hire a skywriter to spell out your proposal for everyone around to see.
8. Book private skate time to your favourite song at Rockafeller Skating Rink and get down on one knee there. You could also use London’s Somerset House, Vienna’s Wiener Eistraum or even Vancouver’s Robson Square.
9. Sneak into her office or classroom before she gets there and write your proposal on her desk or on the blackboard. Stay hidden under the desk, in the closet or right outside the room until she arrives.
10. After she goes to bed, go to her jewellery box and replace her everyday ring with the engagement ring. She’ll be completely shocked in the morning when she goes to put on her regular ring. Capitalise on the element of surprise and ask her then.
11. Love going to the movies? Ask your local theatre to run an ad featuring your proposal and make sure you get there in time for the previews.
12. Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Get into bed, turn the lights off, and look up!
13. Put the ring inside a Kinder Surprise with a customised note.
14. Recreate your first date, whether it was at a coffee shop or dinner, do something silly that you had done that day and which your girlfriend still remembers, and at the right moment, ask her!
15. Make her breakfast in bed and deliver the breakfast tray with the ring placed in the centre.
16. Spell out your proposal with refrigerator magnets.
17. Fill a bath for her and place a floating candle or rubber ducky with a ring tied around it. Go the extra mile and leave a trail of rose petals leading to the bath.
18. Meet for a drink at a fancy hotel bar. When it’s time to go, casually mention that you’ve already reserved a room for the night. When you open the hotel room door, have roses, candles and champagne all set up…
19. Cook and set an lovely candlelight table for a quiet romantic dinner for two at home. Serve her a glass of champagne with the diamond ring in the bottom or ribboned to the stem.
20. Have a friend or family member set up a picnic, complete with wine and cheese, for you in a park. Take your girlfriend for a hike on a route where you’ll stumble upon this surprise proposal picnic.
21. Write her a love note with the proposal at the end of it. Tuck it into her favorite book or the one she happens to be reading at the moment, and when she finds the note, surprise her with the ring.
22. Phone your local radio station, one you know she will be tuning into and have them play your song, and give a short and sweet proposal. Then have her phone in after the song to give her answer on air.
23. Rent a horse and carriage and take a ride through the park or around your most memorable spots. Stop somewhere special or with a nice view and pop the question. Have the driver take pictures or video of the magical moment.
24. Create a personalised fortune cookie with your own proposal message.
25. Don’t let the cold snowy weather stop you from having an amazing proposal! Scratch your proposal into the frost on her car’s windshield, write it in the snow or create a path of white christmas lights leading to you down on one knee with on a cozy blanket with champagne.
26. Ask the pastry chef to write, “Will you marry me?” in chocolate sauce around the rim of her dessert plate.
27. Book a private hot air balloon and ask her at sunset with a bottle of champagne.
28. Arrange to go to a jewellery store after hours, so it’s just the two of you. Go down on one knee and open a ring box- it’s empty! Tell her she can pick out any ring she wants in the store.
29. Create your own crossword puzzle that has the message “Will you marry me” in it, and be prepared to help her work it out over breakfast.
30. Invite your girlfriend over for dinner. Spell out “Will You Be My Wife?” with A-Z Spaghettios.
31. Bring out the kid in you! Use your artistic abilities and draw your proposal with chalk on a walkway.
32. Use signs and banners in your proposal! It’s a great way to create a surprise. She will never expect it. You can propose without even speaking a word. Stencil it onto a wooden sign and place it next to a picnic.
33. Simply pick a place you both love and means something special, like where you first met. Get down on one knee and simply, ask the girl you love to spend the rest of her life with you.